I mistyped the date for "A Photographers Eye" in the email newsletter sent out this afternoon. The correct date is Saturday, July 10th (not the 19th as I erroneously typed). Sorry for the confusion.
Happy 4th of July
The weather has cooperated to give us a glorious start to the summer season. We have lots going on at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum this summer. Here are a few of the special things you won't want to miss.
In the meantime, have a wonderful 4th of July Holiday.
There is still time to register for "A Photographer's Eye," taught by award-winning garden photographer, Alan L. Dietrick. Garden photography has its own rules and Alan will explain them to you in his presentation scheduled for Saturday, July 10th (***NOTE CORRECTED DATE***), from 1pm - 3pm.
You may see many of his images on display in the Haggerty Center gallery throughout July.
Pack a picnic super and head to the Frelinghuysen's Great Lawn on Friday, July 16th for the environmental tale for all ages, Where the Wild Things Are. Bring your membership card for discount admission of only $5 per car.
Travel With the Friends to Scotland
The Friends start celebrating their 40th Anniversary with a fabulous trip to Scotland in May/June 2011, just in time for the Edinburgh Flower Show.
Learn all about the public and private gardens (and a wee bit of shopping) that travelers will enjoy at this informational talk complete with Scottish fare and accompanying bagpipers. Speakers include Susan Cloyd from C-I-E Tours International and Trip Co-Chairs Karen Curry and Ollie Acheson.
Check out the new Scotland2011 section of the website for all the up-to-date information.
Save the Dates!
Many other programs are listed in our Events Calendar, but here are a few you may want to check out and add to your calendar:
- Sallets, Cooking from the Rare Book Collection - Sun July 18th. Learn about John Evelyn, a 17th century English diarist, gardener and writer, view Evelyn's books in the Julia Appleton Cross Rare Book Collection and then watch Chef Cynthia Triolo re-create these historic recipes.
- Create a Mosaic Flower Pot - Tues/Wed July 20 & 21. Join Eleanor Parr DiLeo for this two-day class where you will create your own mosaic wall-hung flower pot.
- Fairy Day - Sun July 25th. The Garden Fairies return to The Frelinghuysen Arboretum this summer! To prepare for their arrival, houses need to be built. Families are invited to celebrate the fourth Fairy Day on Sylvan Terrace and build a home for these visiting wee folk.
- Adult Beginner's Flower Arranging Class - Tues August 10th. Join noted instructor Marge Hulstrunk to learn the basics of a good flower arrangement.
- Travel With the Friends to Scotland - Sun September 12. Learn all about the Friends 40th Anniversary fabulous trip to Scotland in Spring 2011.
That's it for this time. Hope you enjoyed this edition of the newsletter. Tell your friends about this handy way to keep up with activities at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum (complete directions for subscribing are on our website at http://www.arboretumfriends.org/node/289.